Hello, today I want to share a card I made today.
I want to share a technique that is new to me on how I made my card. I have used stencil with texture paste in making cards before, but I never tried making cards with a stencil that is made out of paper. I have this new stamp set that I wanted to use as well from Kaisercraft Dictionary Meaning texture stamp. I also tried a new technique which is a splatter embossing effect on my die-cut label.
Here is how I made my card.
- I prepared a 4″ x 5.25″ mixed media paper from Strathmore series. I taped it down with washi tape so it will not move as I am working on it with the stencil and it also helped reduced the warping of the paper. (Washi tape works the best for me, you can try painter’s tape or masking tape but it always tears my paper no matter how careful I am) I stamped the Dictionary meaning stamp from Kaisercraft with Ranger Watering Can archival ink.
- I used my homemade texture paste and colored it with some gold paint from Ranger. I mixed the paste onto some old packaging so it is easier for me to clean up. (I just throw it out after I am done)
- I have the ‘paper stencil’ in my stash from my earlier project when I made my shaker card. (The story is, I bought the Tim Holtz Mixed Media die and I was test-cutting it. But it did not have a clean cut with my Cuttlebug and there was an area that just did not cut at all. So I was experimenting with different layers of shims and kept trying and trying.. until I got a tip on using dryer sheets. The dryer sheet was perfect. Just fold it in half, one layer of shim and the usual cutting sandwich then it die-cut perfectly. Well, from my experiment, I had like 5 pieces of cardstock with incomplete cuts. Of course, I cannot just throw it out so I saved it without knowing what I can do with it. So today, I thought I could try to use it as stencil)
- It actually worked really well and I did not have any problem at all and I did not even need to clean it. (Just use it then throw it out)
- I die-cut my sentiment Thanks from a black cardstock and stamped the sentiment “so much” from the Hero Arts Stamp & Cut Thanks set. (Remember to save the negatives from the die-cut) I also die-cut a label, the third one from largest label from Spellbinders Labels 24 with a white cardstock.
- I die-cut another label, the second from the largest die with a black cardstock. Here I tried a new technique, to create a splatter embossed effect on the label. ( I saw this technique from youtube but never tried it before) I used the Tim Holtz Marker Spritzer and a Ranger embossing pen and just spritz some ink onto the label. The I used Judikins metallic bronze embossing powder and heat set it with my heat tool. It turned out pretty cool. I loved how shiny it is.
- Then I assembled my card panel to a black cardstock base and stamped the stars from the same Hero Arts stamp set.
Here are some close up pictures:
Remember earlier, I mentioned to save the negatives of the “Thanks” sentiment diecut. I made another card using the same design.
I added a pink ruffled ribbon as a border and added some pink mist splatters.
I am entering the card for two challenges which helped spark the idea for the card.
That is all I have to share today. Thanks for stopping by. Happy crafting.