Hello, welcome to my blog for another wedding layout share. My layout today is a little different. I have not done this before on a layout. If you read my previous post, I shared about how I LOVED shaker cards, well I decided to add my shaker pouch to my layout. I have seen lots of examples of people adding sequins and shaker pocket to their layouts and I really wanted to try it.
The title of my page is ” Lovely Flowers”. The pictures were taken when my husband came after successfully “passed” the “doorgames”. For those unfamiliar with Chinese weddings, let me try to briefly explain what I meant. As the tradition goes, the groom is not suppose to see the bride the night before the wedding, so the bride would be in her parents’ house. On the morning of the wedding day, the groom would go to her house to pick her up and also bring along the wedding bouquet. Before the groom is let inside to see the bride, he will have to pass through a series of games or I would say challenges, set up for him and his groomsmen by the bridesmaids. These games/challenges are meant to prove his love for the bride, but they are mostly meant for fun and to embarrass the groom and the groomsmen. I will not get into details with that…. After the bridesmaids are satisfied with the way he had passed the challenges, he has to give a “red packet” to the bridesmaid then he will be allowed to enter to the room where the bride is waiting. ( Yes, the bride had no idea what is going on outside if you are wondering) It is interesting how an old tradition of picking the bride up has evolved to today’s tradition. Lots of laughter and it will be remembered forever with the evidence of the wedding video.
So, back to my scrapbook layout; my flowers! I actually handmade my bouquet, matron of honor’s bouquet and the toss bouquet, all out of scrapbook paper. Like I said, I really love paper, and I really had a fresh flower-less wedding. My centerpieces’ flowers were all handmade out of paper too. A friend of mine helped me “poof-up” my bouquet with more paper flowers and helped me with the beautiful “flowy” ribbons. That is the story I want to tell in my layout.
If you missed my previous post where I shared about my Chinese wedding dress, or what my matron of honor’s bouquet looked like, you can check it here.
Briefly how I made my layout:
- I started with My Mind’s Eye 12″x12″ yellow polka dot paper as the background. Then I took a 8″x10″ musical paper from Crate Paper Flea Market collection and used my American Crafts Knockout notebook edger punch for the side.
- I took a strip of 1.5″ black and cream XOXO paper as a horizontal border where my pictures are more grounded. I added the gold weave ribbon also as a horizontal border. This is the same exact ribbon I had leftover from when I was making the bouquet.
- I used my Walnut Hollow Hotmarks tool to make the shaker pouches. I used my Spellbinders Classic Heart dies and a large heart-shaped cookie cutter to be the frame to my shaker pouches. I used some old packaging as the pouches.
- I used the We r Memory Keepers Sew Easy Script template again for the handstitched “Lovely” and the balck alphabets stickers are from Doodlebug design Shin-Dig.
- I added some wood veneers and sequins in clusters in a visual triangle. I also added my DIY epoxy stickers/DIY flairs.
- I also added strips of the same papers I used to the corners with a scallop heart border using my American Crafts Knockout hearts border punch, just to add the embellishments in a clusters of three and the same repetition of elements for balance and design.
I am really glad to add the exact ribbon I used for the bouquet to this layout as a piece of memorabilia. The shaker pouches are just so fun. A perfect way to add to the documentation of the story of the page. Honestly, it was not perfect as it does have some ragged edges; but since it is handmade, it IS acceptable. lol I probably need some more practice. But for now, I am very happy to have a scrapbook layout that shakes! I filled the pouches with flower-shaped sequins which I love and fits the title of my page today!
Here are some more close up pictures.
Tips: In hindsight, I probably would not use Glossy Accents to adhere these pouches because the adhesive will show through. Multi Matte medium may be a better alternative.
I made this layout for a challenge on Scrap Out Stash E-M-B-O-S-S. Check out their blog for more inspiration
E: Embroidery floss
M: My Mind’s Eye yellow polka dot background paper
B: Black strip of XOXO paper and black alphabets stickers
O: Oval wood veneer frame as embellishments
S: Stitching/Splatters of pink mist
S: Shaker pouches filled with sequins
I will also enter this layout for Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge X,Y,Z – with the XOXO, and Yellow background and Yellow Ochre embroidery floss; I will enter this layout also for Simon Says Stamp Work it Wednesday April 2015
Thank you for stopping by. Happy crafting!